2. What are cookies? A cookie is a small text file that is placed on the browser or hard drive of your computer (or similar device) by websites that you visit. Cookies are typically used in order to make websites work, or work more efficiently, as well as to provide information to the owners of the particular website.
We use the following types of cookies:
- Strictly necessary cookies - These are cookies that are essential for the operation of our website. These cookies remember information you have entered on forms when you navigate to different pages during a web browser session, identify you as being logged in to our website, etc.
- Performance cookies - These cookies allow us to recognise and count the number of visitors and to see how visitors move around on our website when they are using it. These cookies help us to improve the way the website works, for example, by ensuring that users are finding what they are looking for easily. These cookies provide statistics on how our website is used, help us improve the website by measuring any errors that occur, etc.
- Functionality cookies - These are cookies that are used to recognise you when you return to our website. This enables us to personalise our content for you, greet you by name, remember if we have already asked you if you want to fill in a survey, and remember your preferences, for example your choice of language or region.
Whether a cookie is considered as a 'first' or 'third party' cookie refers to the domain placing the cookie. First-party cookies are those cookies set by a website that is being visited by the user at the time (e.g. cookies placed by www.zoetis.com). Third-party cookies are cookies that are set by a domain other than that of the website being visited by the user. If a user visits a website and another entity sets a cookie through that website this would be a third-party cookie (e.g. Google Analytics).
Whether a cookie is considered as a 'persistent' or 'session' cookie refers to the duration of the cookie. A persistent cookie remains on a user's device for the period of time specified in that cookie, and is activated each time that said user visits the website that created the concerned cookie. A session cookie allows to link the actions of a user during a browser session. A session starts when a user opens a browser window and ends when the browser window is closed. Once the browser is closed, all session cookies are deleted.
You can find more information about the individual cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them in the table below:
|PHPSESSID||horsedialog.co.uk||Strictly necessary||Session||This is a general purpose PHP identifier used to maintain user session variables.|
|_ga||horsedialog.co.uk||Performance||2 Years||This cookie is used for Google Analytics to distinguish unique users by assigning a randomly generated number as a client identifier.|
|_gid||horsedialog.co.uk||Performance||1 Day||This cookie is used for Google Analytics to store and update a unique value for each page visited.|
|_gat||horsedialog.co.uk||Performance||1 minute||This cookie is used for Google Analytics to throttle request rate.|
|1P_JAR||horsedialog.co.uk||Performance||7 Days||This cookie is used for Google Analytics to store and update a unique value for each page visited.|
|cookiebanner||horsedialog.co.uk||Functionality||7 Days||This cookie is set when the visitor agrees to the cookie consent.|
|wfvt_||horsedialog.co.uk||Functionality||Persistent||This cookie is used by WordFence to track a user for the duration of their visit so that their page views can be grouped together.|
|wordfence_verifiedHuman||horsedialog.co.uk||Functionality||Persistent||Wordfence Cookie used to verify if the visitor is a bot or human.|
|fr||facebook.com||Functionality||3 Months||Used by Facebook to deliver a series of advertisement products such as real time bidding from third party advertisers.|
|_cfduid||cloudflare.com||Functionality||1 Year||This cookie is used by CloudFlare content delivery network for whitelisting specific users from security restrictions.|
|_hjIncludedInSample||petdialog.co.uk||Performance||Session||This session cookie is set to let Hotjar know whether that visitor is included in the sample which is used to generate funnels.|
|_hssc||hotjar.com||Performance||Persistant||This cookie is for keeping track of sessions. This is used to determine if it should increment the session number and timestamps.|
|_hssrc||hotjar.com||Performance||Session||This cookie is used to determine if the user has restarted their browser.|
|_hstc||hotjar.com||Performance||2 Years||The main cookie for tracking visitors information.|
|IDE||doubleclick.net||Performance||1 Year||Used by Google DoubleClick to register and report the website user's actions after viewing or clicking one of the advertiser's ads with the purpose of measuring the efficacy of an ad and to present targeted ads to the user.|
|test_cookie||doubleclick.net||Performance||Session||Used by Google DoubleClick to check if the user's browser supports cookies.|
|__atuvc||addthis.com||Functionality||2 Years||This cookie is associated with the AddThis social sharing widget, it stores an updated page share count.|
|__atuvs||addthis.com||Functionality||Persistent||This cookie is associated with the AddThis social sharing widget, which serves a similar purpose to other cookies set by the service.|
|di2||addthis.com||Performance||1 Year||This cookie is associated with the AddThis social sharing widget and keeps track of expiry dates of other cookies used by the social sharing platform.|
|uid||addthis.com||Performance||2 Year||This cookie is used by AddThis as a unique user ID that recognises the user on returning visits.|
|bt2||addthis.com||Performance||1 Year||Used by the social sharing platform to keep a record of parts of the site that has been visited in order to recommend other parts of the site.|
|loc||addthis.com||Performance||2 Years||This cookie is used by AddThis for Geolocation, used to help publishers know approximately where people sharing information are located.|
|uvc||addthis.com||Performance||2 Years||This cookie updates the counter on the website's social sharing function.||vc||addthis.com||Performance||1 Year||Unspecified||_distillery||wistia.com||Functionality||1 Year||This cookie is used by Wistia video player to remember video playback position.||muxData||wistia.com||Functionality||Never||This cookies supports video functionality by Wistia.||ct0||twitter.com||Performance||Persistant||This cookie is set due to Twitter integration and sharing capabilities for the social media.||dnt||twitter.com||Performance||Never||This cookie is set due to Twitter integration and sharing capabilities for the social media.||eu_cn||twitter.com||Performance||1 Year||This cookie is set due to Twitter integration and sharing capabilities for the social media.||external_reference||twitter.com||Performance||7 Days||This cookie is set due to Twitter integration and sharing capabilities for the social media.||guest_id||twitter.com||Performance||2 Years||This cookie is set due to Twitter integration and sharing capabilities for the social media.||kdt||twitter.com||Performance||2 Years||This cookie is set due to Twitter integration and sharing capabilities for the social media.||lang||twitter.com||Performance||Session||This cookie is set due to Twitter integration and sharing capabilities for the social media.||personalization_id||twitter.com||Performance||2 Years||This cookie is set due to Twitter integration and sharing capabilities for the social media.||remember_check_on||twitter.com||Performance||Never||This cookie is set due to Twitter integration and sharing capabilities for the social media.||tfw_exp||twitter.com||Performance||14 Days||This cookie is set due to Twitter integration and sharing capabilities for the social media.|
4. How to manage cookies? You block cookies by activating the setting on your browser that allows you to refuse the setting of all or some cookies. These settings are usually found in the 'options' or 'preferences' menu of your internet browser. However, if you use your browser settings to block all cookies (including strictly necessary cookies) you may not be able to access all or parts of the website.
For more details the following links may be helpful:
- Cookie settings in Internet Explorer
- Cookie settings in Firefox
- Cookie settings in Chrome
- Cookie settings in Safari